Of course, you can use just plain sour cream, but the mango (if you happen to have one you need to use up) adds a delicious fruity aroma on top of the rich chocolate layer.
To make mango sour cream, puree one small mango (peeled, seeded and chopped) with 1 pint of sour cream.
To make the brownies, you will need:
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- 7 ounces chocolate, unsweetened or bittersweet
- 4 large eggs, room temperature (this is important! if your eggs are cold, put them in a bowl of tepid water for a while until they don’t feel chilly to the touch)
- 1 3/4 cups dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup mango sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (for more fruit flavor, use orange extract)
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp good cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
In a double boiler (or a bowl fit over the top of a pan) melt the butter and chocolate together. Remove from the steam, and let cool for ten minutes. In the meantime, whip together the eggs and sugar. Add the sour cream, vanilla, and salt and stir until blended.
In another bowl, sift together the cocoa powder and flour.
Stir the cooled chocolate mixture in with the egg mixture, and when it is fully incorporated, add the flour mixture. Stir until just combined, then pour into a buttered 9×13 inch baking pan. Smooth the top, and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.