This recipe makes an incredibly simple yet delicious scone, crumbly and moist but without the need for butter work. The oil in the flax seed meal serves as the fat pulling the dough together and giving the finished scones a fine, toasty flavor. I first made these in Sweden, where I found the recipe on the side of the flax seed box. It was so easy I made it nearly every weekend.
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour (at altitude, use 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup crushed flax seeds
- 1 tbsp baking powder (at altitude, use 1 tsp)
- 1 tsp salt (very important for flavor!)
- 1/4 cup grapeseed or canola oil
- 1 1/2 cup milk
Mix all dry ingredients. Add oil and milk. Roll out to 1/2 inch and cut up, then bake 15 mins at 350 degrees.